Lighting the Fires of Freedom: African American Women in the Civil Rights Movement by Janet Dewart Bell

Lighting the Fires of Freedom: African American Women in the Civil Rights Movement by Janet Dewart Bell highlights how often women get written out of the collective history with this collection of mini-memoirs about women instrumental in the Civil Rights Movement. I've read many books over the past several years that have forced me to think about my history classes in a new way.  As I read these women's stories told from each woman's perspective, I found some stories easier to read than others. Some stories were emotional. Some were more analytical. All provide insight into lives I can only understand through their stories. I saw places where I related and others where I couldn't relate at all. These women's stories exemplified courage, determination, intelligence, and a willingness to work hard without seeking glory.  I wanted more. I wanted to know more about each one. I wanted each of these women to receive the recognition they deserve on a larger scale. I wanted to know what other women were left out of the story. I wanted to ask every history teacher I've ever had, "Where were the women when you taught me history?" That's the power of a well-written book of engaging stories. It not only provides information and perspectives one might not have otherwise entertained but pushes one to ask questions. I couldn't get enough of Lighting the Fires of Freedom and didn't want it to end. Lighting the Fires of Freedom lit a fire in my heart and mind pushing me to question the holes in history that might just provide a more inclusive, well-rounded, honest narrative if filled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Snitch in Time by Sunny Frazier

Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself by Kristin Neff, Ph.D.

Creative Knowing: 50 Self-Reflection Questions for Women by Christina Katz