How I Discovered Poetry by Marilyn Nelson

How I Discovered Poetry by Marilyn Nelson is a delightful book of poetry that offers a glimpse into 1950s America through the life of Nelson and her family. Nelson's poetry tells a story that engaged me, made me think, and touched my heart so much I often found myself looking forward to my nightly poetry reading, thinking about the poems throughout the day, and reading more than my allotted number of poems per day. Nelson pulls words together into poetry that weaves world events, American society, interracial relations, and family together with finesse and honesty. How I Discovered Poetry is as much about discovering life as it is about discovering poetry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself by Kristin Neff, Ph.D.

Creative Knowing: 50 Self-Reflection Questions for Women by Christina Katz

A Snitch in Time by Sunny Frazier