Robert Frost Three Books

I bought Robert Frost Three Books from a remainders table several years ago. I don't remember when, but I know the reason was two-fold. One, I love Frost's poem, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. For those of you who don't recognize the title, I think it's also referred to as the "miles to go before I sleep" poem. Two, I felt driven to study the work of well-known poets. I bought the book without even opening the cover, so imagine my disappointment when I discovered Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening isn't in the book. The book contains three of Frost's books, A Boy's Will, North of Boston, and Mountain  Interval. The poems in this book are divine. I read and reread many of them many times. They take the heart and mind on a journey through nature and human reaction. Wind and Window Flower reminded me of fleeting love and lost opportunity. The Vantage Point reminded me of the inner struggle between the need for solitude and the need for connection. Some poems, like Snow and The Self-Seeker, tell stories that seem both complete and incomplete by design. Interestingly, many of the poems seem as if they could have been written today. There is a timeliness in Frost's work that leaves the reader feeling suspended between the past and present ever pointing out what many of us know to be true, humans tend to repeat patterns of behavior and living until something shocks them into change. Frost manages to be weave complexity and simplicity into his words without ever sounding as if he's trying to be impressive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Snitch in Time by Sunny Frazier

Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself by Kristin Neff, Ph.D.

Creative Knowing: 50 Self-Reflection Questions for Women by Christina Katz