Fierce on the Page: Become the Writer You were to Be and Succeed on Your own Terms by Sage Cohen

Fierce on the Page: Become the Writer You Were Meant to Be and Succeed on Your Own Terms by Sage Cohen gently, steadily, and apologetically pushes writers to recognize, embrace, and project their fierceness onto the page. Cohen offers short essays, stories, and anecdotal evidence of the techniques she describes for finding one's own inner fierceness. I opted to do the exercises in the book as well as read it and found they deepened the experience quite a bit. Most are simple writing exercises that take only a few minutes to do though a few are more intensive. All of the exercises are thought and/or emotion provoking, some more than others. I decided to treat the book like a class and do one chapter a day until I completed it. That worked well for me and gave me time to really digest each chapter before delving into the next. Sometimes I couldn't resist peeking ahead to see what was coming up. Cohen writes in a fiercely engaging way that feels vulnerable and strong at the same time. Her guidance feels gentle even with its emphasis on the idea of being fierce on the page. I often discovered myself smiling at the little insights she shared about her life that also gave insight into who she is as a writer. Fierce on the Page reminded me that I be both fierce and gentle with my writing because the key is to be true to myself and the message I want to convey to the world. Fierce on the Page is for any writer who wants to write fiercely enough to let the world hear their roar!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Snitch in Time by Sunny Frazier

Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself by Kristin Neff, Ph.D.

Creative Knowing: 50 Self-Reflection Questions for Women by Christina Katz