My Guided Journals for 2020

I've started playing around with guided journals the past several years. Sometimes I like them. Sometimes not. I often use them as writing prompts as much as journaling prompts, that is if they are conducive to writing. Not all are. 

My 2020 Journals List


Becoming: A Guided Journal for Discovering Your Voice by Michelle Obama - This journal hit home in ways I didn't expect. The questions forced me think and to feel and to explore. Sometimes the questions pushed me into those places I didn't want to go and other times I had so much fun with it. I liked this journal so much, I gave it to a friend as a gift and might send it to a few others! In one of my few Instagram posts this year, I posted the following about this book. "I feel both sad and happy that I just wrote my last entry in Becoming: A Guided Journal for Discovering Your Voice by Michelle Obama. Sad that I have no more prompts and happy for the journey! I often found myself hearing the prompts in her voice and sometimes answering as if I was talking to her. Some of the prompts surprised me, some inspired me, a few felt a bit irrelevant to my current life, but they all made me think. It's a great guided journal! Thank you @michelleobama #becoming #journaling #selfcare #selfdiscovery"

Zen as F*ck: A Journal for Practicing the Mindful Art of Not Giving a Sh*t by Monica Sweeney - As much as I enjoyed Becoming, I wanted a completely different type of journal after doing it. Zen as F*ck definitely fit that bill. While it still made me think, it often made me think about not overthinking things.

Present Not Perfect: A Journal for Slowing Down, Letting Go, and Loving Who Your Are by Aimee Chase - This journal felt a little too basic for me. I did it right after Zen as F*ck, so maybe it would've resonated more with me if I'd done something more intense between the two.

Be Antiracist Journal: A Journal for Awareness, Reflection and Action by Ibram X. Kendi - I started this journal at the end of October. The questions are interesting but sometimes seem a bit basic. I think this might be a matter of where one is on one's journey, so those same questions would probably really challenge other people. I'll have more to say after I finish it.

The Life Organizer: A Woman's Guide to a Mindful Year by Jennifer Louden - I read the introduction material for this journal as I want to do this journal in 2021, and I wanted to be prepared on day 1/week 1 since it's a weekly rather than a daily journal.  The introduction material was interesting at times and a bit frustrating at others. Assumptions about who will use the journal play here and could be off-putting if one's not willing to look past those assumptions. I'll report back once I've actually put it into action.


If you'd like to follow what I'm reading in real time, please follow/friend me on Goodreads.

If you'd like to see when I publish new books, please follow me on Amazon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert

A Snitch in Time by Sunny Frazier

Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself by Kristin Neff, Ph.D.