Poetry Books I Read in 2020

I read several books of poetry in 2020 from a wide range of poets covering a wide range of topics. All the books as a whole were good, but some individual poems were definitely better than others.

Here's a list of all the poetry books I read in 2020 with a thought or two on each as well as a link to buy many of them.

Terra Incognita: Oregon Poets Write for Ecological, Social, Political, and Economic Justice - This book by Oregon poets has poems that range from in-depth and intense to light and playful all while exploring some very serious and current topics. I quite enjoyed it; however, I can't find a place where it can be purchased online.

A Collection of Poems by Robert Frost - Reading this book of poetry inspired me, reminded me of my roots, made me think about my journey, touched my heart, and lifted my spirit. At times, it also plunged me into a melancholic state that felt like a lesson in life. It includes two of my favorite Frost poems - Stopping by Woods on Snowy Evening and Nothing Gold Can Stay (see my thoughts on this poem here.) as well as The Road Not Taken.

The Collected Poems of Audre Lorde - Oh, man, what can I say. This book of poetry challenged me on so many levels. There were poems I totally related to, poems I didn't want to relate to but did, and others that I seriously wanted to resist. Lorde's use of words and courage to speak her mind and heart inspired me at the same time it made me aware of how often I bite my tongue.

100 Selected Poems by e. e. cummings - I floated through air while reading cumming's poetry. I honestly felt surprised by how much I enjoyed the poems in this book.

A Thousand Mornings: Poems by Mary Oliver - This book of poetry felt too short. When I reached the end, I wanted more. The poems were deliciously thought provoking and heart touching.

A Sweeter Understanding by R. E. Smith - This book of poetry touched my heart for many reasons and in many ways. I met the poet on Facebook several years ago and enjoyed discussing poetry with him. He disappeared rather abruptly, and I finally reached out to his daughter to find out why. She sent me this book of his poetry. When I read it, I could hear the voice I always imagined would be his in my head. I've never heard him speak, so that was odd, but it also felt right. While this book is no longer available, I am incredibly grateful to have gotten the chance to read it and indulge in my friend's poetry, especially since he can no longer write poetry.

milk and honey by rupi kaur - I loved this book of poetry. kaur talked to my soul and reminded me of my past and my growth as a human and a poet.

Shakepeare's Sonnets and Poems - I never imagined I'd pick up this book and start reading it. I had that aversion to Shakespeare that many of us developed because of the way Shakespeare was taught when we were in high school. Then Patrick Stewart started reading Shakespeare's sonnets daily on Instagram. When he read them, the sonnets spoke to me in ways they hadn't before. So I bought the book because I wanted to read them, to look at the words, and to take my time with them. I enjoyed the vast majority of the sonnets. The rest of the poems were good, too, but not as enjoyable as the sonnets, at least to me.

When My Brother Was an Aztec by Natalie Diaz - This book... Sighs! I found it engaging and squirmy all at once. I couldn't stop thinking about the poems, and I couldn't stop reading even when it hit my buttons. The poems were often intense and graphic but always with an undercurrent of compassion and understanding that I admired.

Me in America by Kelvin Parker - As soon as I started this book I knew it was the last book of poetry I'd read in 2020. I wanted a few days to digest it after I finished it. It challenged me to open my heart and my mind by playing with both my perceptions and the perceptions I think others have. I enjoyed it immensely!


If you'd like to follow what I'm reading in real time, please follow/friend me on Goodreads.

If you'd like to see when I publish new books, please follow me on Amazon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert

A Snitch in Time by Sunny Frazier

Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself by Kristin Neff, Ph.D.