Writing Related Books I Read in 2020

Here are the books I read to further my writing career in 2020.

The Successful Author Mindset: A Handbook for Surviving the Writer's Journey by Joanna Penn - This book didn't have a lot of new material in it, at least for me, but it did remind me of how important it is to treat my writing like a business if I want to succeed. It also inspired me to think about my productivity and some bad habits I'd developed.
 

Productivity for Authors: Find Time to Write, Organize Your Author Life, and Decide What Really Matters by Joanna Penn - This book continued with the "I know that. Why am I not doing it?" pushes.


Productivity for Creative People: How to Get Creative Work Done in an "Always On" World by Mark McGuinness - This book pushed me at times, bored me at others, irritated me at times but always seemed to make me look at my productivity and my productivity drains whether I wanted to or not. I think I read it too soon after Productivity for Authors. I wonder if my reaction would've been more positive if I'd waited a while...
 

Audio for Authors: Audiobooks, Podcasting, and Voice Technologies by Joanna Penn - This book really got me thinking... I'd been toying with the idea of creating audiobooks for each of my titles for awhile but kept convincing myself there were too many obstacles, but after reading this I feel confident about trying it, at least.
 

Narrate and Record Your Own Audiobook: a simplified guide by M. L. Buchman - furthered my confidence in moving forward with recording and releasing my books as audiobooks by making the process, the technology, and equipment feel approachable.


This Is a Voice: 99 exercises to train, project and harness the power of your voice by Jeremy Fisher - This book was interesting, to say the least. I've been shy about speaking in public or even being videotaped or recorded, but the idea of recording my own audiobooks intimidated me a little bit. I kept wondering about inflections and using different voices and how to make sure sounds were really clear. This book helped me understand how my voice works better.

You probably noticed a theme here. I spent the last year researching how to do audiobooks, so audiobooks should be coming your way soon for those who follow my writing.


If you'd like to follow what I'm reading in real time, please follow/friend me on Goodreads.

If you'd like to see when I publish new books, please follow me on Amazon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert

A Snitch in Time by Sunny Frazier

Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself by Kristin Neff, Ph.D.