Mama Gena's School of Womanly Arts by Regena Thomashauer


Mama Gena's School of Womanly Arts by Regena Thomashauer strives to empower and liberate women. Parts of it are fun and entertaining, but there are moments when it feels a little too heavy on shock value. I kept waiting for Thomashauer to tell me something I haven't discovered on my own. The exercises felt contrived and designed to shock the reader. Perhaps there are women who find that motivating, but I'm not one of of them. I did several of the exercises just to do them even though some of them I've done for years on my own. Thomashauer writes in an engaging way that keeps the reader interested even when doubting her suggestions. I have mixed feelings about this book. Some of the suggestions are fun, intriguing, and perhaps even helpful, but some of them just sound like manipulation. I'm not a huge fan of manipulation, especially in relationships. Still, the idea of women taking control of their own lives and the pleasure in their lives appeals to me. On the other hand, Mama Gena's School of Womanly Arts suffers from the same problem many self-empowerment books suffer from. They encourage self-empowerment but then proceed to explain that the author's path to self-empowerment is the one the reader should follow, and that's more "follow me" than "empower thyself" creating an odd dychotomy. Mama Gena's School of Womanly Arts is and entertaining read that may serve to inspire some women to go after their pleasure in life, so it's worth a read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself by Kristin Neff, Ph.D.

Creative Knowing: 50 Self-Reflection Questions for Women by Christina Katz

A Snitch in Time by Sunny Frazier