Miami Beach, Florida - David's Cafe - 2011 Trip

We went to David's Cafe , located at 1058 Collins Avenue, on recommendation from a couple we chatted with at breakfast while in Miami Beach. They recommended we have pastry and Cuban coffee, but we were still too full from breakfast to even contemplate the pastry. When we arrived, large men seemed to be standing guard at the entrance to David's Cafe. They opened the door for us as we entered. I giggled. I couldn't help it. I'm not sure why they were there, but they reminded me of bouncers at a nightclub. We wandered in to a dining/bar area and sat at the bar. We ordered Cuban coffee. It's dark, rich, and very sweet. I loved it. My husband on the other hand thought it was too sweet. He asked the waiter if he could get one without sugar. The waiter explained that Cuban coffee is typically sweet as he replaced it with an unsweetened one for which we weren't charged. I looked around the room as I sipped my coffee. The atmosphere was at once relaxing and energizing though I couldn't figure out the source of the vibe I felt. Looking back toward the area where we entered I noticed framed photos covering two small walls on a bumpout in the room (the place where the coffee was made and served to people on the street) and spilling on to a third wall. A quick examination of the wall showed it was filled with celebrities, politicians, and some faces I didn't recognize. After I finished my coffee, I looked at the bottom of the cup and frowned. The only problem with the Cuban coffee at David's Cafe is that it leaves you wanting more...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself by Kristin Neff, Ph.D.

Creative Knowing: 50 Self-Reflection Questions for Women by Christina Katz

A Snitch in Time by Sunny Frazier